Update JULY 2017: We are looking for expuurrienced and passionate humans to immediately join our KitTeam!
Ideal Tea Lounge and Dishwasher/Busser/Expediter candidates have previous experience working in a fast-paced, high-volume cafe/restaurant setting. Ideal Cat Wrangler candidates have worked with cats in a shelter/rescue setting. A love of cats is a basic requirement for all qualified applicants.
Please submit: A cover letter/pitch and updated resume (including availability) to: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com in addition to filling out the application form below.
Please only apply if you are already located in the Bay Area and ready to work immediately. We invest a lot in our KitTeam and prefer folks who can make a longer-term commitment. We are unable to consider applicants who do not meet these qualifications. Thank mew!
KitTea - San Francisco's first and only Cat Lounge and Cafe welcomes the purrfect part-time candidates to join the family aka The KitTeam!
Who we are:
KitTea is a unique cafe experience dedicated to enriching the interactions between humans and cats in a relaxing environment. Founded by Courtney Hatt, KitTea provides high-quality care to its resident rescue cats and adoptable felines. Managed by Steph Nelson, KitTea Cat Cafe provides high-quality tea, coffee, specialty beverages, and delicious small treats and hearty meals for our human guests to savor and enjoy living in the the "meow."
Part-time Position(s): Dishwasher/Busser/Expediter - Weekends Required!
- 1-2 shifts per week (all Saturdays, some Sundays - seasonal or as needed)
- Starting wage of $14/hour + tips
- Must be available ASAP - with flexible availability including holidays
As a KitTea Dishwasher/Busser/Expediter your purr-imary duty is to provide customers with the best service possible by maintaining the tea lounge and properly washing, restocking dishes, and pouring tea for customers. There is room for growth into a Tea Lounge Attendant position!
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Cleans all dishes in a timely and organized manner
- Restocks clean dishes
- Clears and cleans tables
- Maintains proper table alignment and setup
- Periodically sweeps floor
- Fills water pitchers, stocks glassware, silverware and all products available on the condiment bar
- Frequently cleans the restroom
- Follows proper closing procedures to keep a clean and organized store
- Provides customers with a pleasant experience when interacting with them
- Is punctual and maintains a good attendance record
- Is familiar with and abides by all KitTea policies, procedures and systems
- Is professional on all levels while clocked in or on company premises. Leaves issues not related to work, outside of work. Comes to work with a positive attitude and outlook on the day.
- Communicates to management when there is an issue, whether it is personal or work related.
- Maintains the utmost integrity and honesty while employed at KitTea.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key responsibility satisfactorily.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and understand simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees in the organization
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiple and divide with 10s and 100s.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one-or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Constant standing/walking
- Occasional stooping, kneeling or crawling
- Occasional pushing, pulling, lifting or carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Occasional ascending or descending stools, or steps
- POS Register and tea bar equipment usage.
- Frequent, continual, intermittent flexing or rotation of the wrist(s) and spine.
- Constant reaching, turning, and performing precision work around tea bar area
- Constant receiving detailed information through oral communication.
- Constant talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Occasional Distinguishing, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors and/or odors.
- Constant clarity of vision at near and/or far distances.
Part-time Position(s): Tea Lounge Attendant and/or Cat Wrangler
- 2-4 shifts per week (shifts are 4-6 hours long)
- Starting wage of $14/hour + tips
- Must be available ASAP - ideally with flexible weekends, weekdays, and holidays.
Tea Lounge Attendants are responsible for maintaining the flow of the tea lounge. This includes, but is not limited to,: taking orders, using POS system, preparing beverage and meal service (i.e. making waffles, sandwiches, salads, soups, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, etc), bussing dishes, washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, processing new inventory (deliveries) and counting current inventory, assisting the host when needed, pro-actively communicating within the team, quality control, maintaining knowledge of reservation policies and information about our cats and rescue partners, answering telephone, making customers feel at home and relaxed in our environment, etc. Daily opening and closing duties, including setting up the space, taking out garbage, sweeping, mopping, cleaning the restroom in the tea lounge and refreshing it during the day. Will require Food Handlers Certification within 30 days of employment.
Qualified applicants will have previous experience in a fast-paced cafe or similar setting. While we strive to create a zen-like atmosphere for our guests, the Tea Lounge Attendant is busy hustling to make sure orders are served quickly, correctly, and with a pawsitive cat-titude!
Cat Wranglers exist in the cat lounge, and their basic duties include, but are not limited to, welcoming guests and sharing guidelines of the space, monitoring the length of visits, taking orders from patrons on the cat lounge iPad, maintaining knowledge of all menu items, feeding cats, cleaning litter boxes, administering medicine when needed, documenting cat health/behavior, etc. Also keeping both the "front of the house" and "back of the house" spaces clean (sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, running washer/dryer, sanitizing, taking out garbage), prepping acclimation spaces for incoming cats, and cleaning the human restroom in the cat lounge at close and refreshing it during the day. Cat Wranglers are knowledgeable about the policies related to adoptions through our partner rescues and help facilitate positive human-cat interactions.
Experience with cat handling, adoption matches, a love of cleaning, meeting new people, assessing group dynamics, and educating guests about cat behavior is the heart of the KitTea expurrience!
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's degree/in progress preferred (not required).
- Previous work experience in a relevant setting.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, holidays, and special events as needed.
- Basic computer skills required. Proficiency with iPad, POS software, Square, Google Drive, Group Messaging, and other apps and tools as needed.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task!
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally and relate to all levels of guests, staff, and management.
- Work in a safe, prudent, and organized manner.
- Positions will require frequent standing, walking, and use of hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs and frequently bend, reach, and twist from the waist.
- For Tea Lounge: minimum 6 months-1 year food service experience in a cafe/fast-paced restaurant or similar food service setting; in-depth knowledge of food and preparation, including valid Food Handler Certification, and knowledge of relevant SF and CA health codes.
Please no (cat)calls about hiring. We will contact applicants to "inter-mew" when we think it might be a purrfect match! We look forward to hearing from you soon!